Sunday, July 20, 2025

How to Become a (Reform) Jew

During my first walk with Rabbi Shifra on West Cliff Drive, she gave me what turned out to be the central lesson of Reform Jewish conversion. If you want to become Jewish, you don't just learn about Judaism from books and classes. Rabbi Shifra emphasized that I needed to experience Jewish life firsthand by attending services, celebrating holidays, practicing Shabbat, and becoming part of a Jewish community. Study was necessary, but it wasn't sufficient.

That was actually reassuring to me. I was already serving on Temple Beth El's Building and Grounds Committee, so I had at least one foot in the door. And I was thrilled to do Shabbat and celebrate the holidays. (Ok, being a drinker, I think Purim is the perfect holiday!)

The formal requirements were straightforward enough. I took two courses: Temple Beth El's eight-week Encountering Judaism class taught by Rabbi Shifra and the Union for Reform Judaism's twenty-week Introduction to Judaism course. Between them, I learned Jewish history, holidays, theology, ethics, life-cycle events, Israel, antisemitism, and a great deal more.

The centerpiece of the process was three substantial essays. They required me to explain what I believed, what I had learned, why I wanted to become Jewish, and how I intended to live a Jewish life. The three rabbis on my Beit Din read them in advance, and the essays became the basis for much of our discussion at that final meeting. I will publish them on the blog soon if anyone cares!

One question people often ask is how Reform conversion differs from Orthodox conversion. In many ways the process looks similar. Both require study, a rabbi, a Beit Din, and a mikveh immersion. The biggest difference is philosophical.

Reform Judaism asks whether you are committed to joining the Jewish people and building a Jewish life. Orthodox Judaism asks that as well, but also expects acceptance of traditional Jewish law as binding and generally assumes belief in a more traditional understanding of God. As a result, Reform Judaism recognizes Orthodox conversions, but Orthodox Judaism generally does not recognize Reform conversions. So, although I am Jewish according to Reform Judaism, Orthodox Jews generally would not consider my conversion valid.

I'm okay with that. The goal of my conversion was not universal recognition. I wanted an ethical, moral, community-oriented home, and I found that in Am Yisrael—the Jewish people.

There are traditionally 613 mitzvot, or commandments, although many cannot be practiced today, including those involving sacrifices and the ancient Temple. Orthodox Judaism considers the mitzvot that apply to a person in a given situation to be binding Jewish law. Reform Judaism does not consider the entire body of traditional Jewish law binding, particularly when it comes to ritual observance, but that doesn't mean everything is simply a matter of personal preference. Reform Judaism continues to regard the ethical mitzvot as obligations: we are obligated to care for the sick, comfort the grieving, feed the hungry, give tzedakah, welcome the stranger, and pursue justice. When it comes to ritual practices such as keeping kosher, daily prayer, or how one observes Shabbat, Reform Judaism gives us much more latitude to study the tradition and decide what practices bring meaning to our Jewish lives.

As for the details, if you want a surprisingly funny and fairly accurate version of conversion, Sex and the City did a storyline about Charlotte's conversion. The requirements aren't identical, but Reform converts will recognize a surprising amount of the journey. I did not, however, have to knock three times! An email was enough to get my process rolling.

Hey, if you're interested in checking out Am Yisrael (all things Jewish!), all I can say is—like this old, very Jewish commercial – “try it, you'll like it.”  (Okay, he didn't like it and needed Alka Seltzer, but still!)


No comments:

Post a Comment